2011 President’s Message
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you the Second District Dental Society website. On this site you will find the names of our elected officials and trustees, as well as those of the SDDS members who serve on our standing committees. These volunteers work selflessly and steadfastly to ensure the continuity of our society. This year’s truly amazing lineup of lecturers and spectacular continuing education schedule was made possible by our continuing education team, comprised of Dr. William Bongiorno, Chair of the Continuing Education Committee; Dr. Mitchell Mindlin, Chair of the Friday Morning Seminars Committee; and Dr. Sari Rosenwein, Chair of the Program Committee. I cannot thank them enough. We are also fortunate to have a capable Executive Director in Mr. Bernard Hackett and his superlative support team: Ms. Shayo Farinre, Continuing Education Coordinator and Ms. Veronica Molina, Membership Coordinator. Their dedication to this program’s success and the SDDS is immeasurable.
Imagine how each of us would be practicing today if we didn’t have continuing education. Would we be performing the exact same procedures we learned in dental school throughout our careers? Many of us might still be placing gold foils and copper bands (not to say that there is anything wrong with doing so), and many of us surely would not be placing implants or utilizing lasers, Invisalign®, digital radiography and CBCT scans! I could go on and on. Continuing education is the life blood of maintaining a clinical practice in our ever evolving profession of dentistry and so, on that note, I highly recommend that you take advantage of your SDDS membership by attending as many courses as you can. Below, you will find a fine representation of this year’s extensive CE program and activities:
- Second District Dental Society’s Annual Installation of Officers at The Water’s Edge on January 9, 2011
- Richmond County Dental Society’s Annual Installation of Officers and Dinner Dance at the Richmond County Country Club on January 22, 2011
- The Dr. Irving E. Gruber Memorial Lecture on March 11, 2011, which will feature Dr. Barbara J. Steinberg, Clinical Professor of Surgery at Drexel University College of Medicine, lecturing on treating the medically compromised patient and “Optimal Aging”
- Our four Scientific Meetings, which are free to all SDDS members and afford us the opportunity to earn continuing education credit, socialize with colleagues and enjoy a complimentary sumptuous dinner
- The 87th Annual Greater New York Dental Meeting on November 25 through November 30, 2011
I would like to invite everyone to our Annual Installation of Officers being held on Sunday, January 9, 2011, at The Water’s Edge. Zagat describes this Long Island City restaurant as “one of the top restaurants in New York City,” and extols its “panoramic views of the Manhattan skyline and world-class décor.” Also, please attend and volunteer at our very own acclaimed Greater New York Dental Meeting, the largest dental meeting in the country, which will be held November 25 through November 30, 2011. Be a part of it and bring your staff for a fun filled day of learning and networking. Lastly, I would like to thank all members of the Second District Dental Society for the opportunity to be your President for 2011. I am honored and take the responsibility seriously and will do my utmost to guide our dental society on its current path of continued success.
Stuart L. Segelnick, D.D.S.
President – 2011
Second District Dental Society